Indulge in the rich flavors of Chickpea Stewy Beans with Parmesan & Smoked Turkey, a hearty dish that effortlessly combines the nuttiness of chickpeas, the savory essence of smoked turkey, and the umami goodness of Parmesan cheese.
This versatile recipe accommodates three different cooking methods: stovetop, slow cooker, and Instant Pot, making it easier for you. As a busy mom, I just don't have time for fussy and complicated recipes. I need something filling, dependable, and easy to make. For convenience, I've used canned chickpeas because, in my life, the days of having hours to spend in the kitchen are long gone. Thankfully, using canned beans doesn't mean you're missing out on any flavor.
Additionally, if you're not into the idea of chopping carrots, onions, and celery, you can use pre-chopped or even frozen vegetables. This soup is super forgiving. It's an approachable recipe that gets a little razzle-dazzle with a glug of what I'm calling Smoky Paprika Herb Oil (literally just smoked paprika, Italian parsley, olive oil, and salt). This dish promises a symphony of textures and aromas with minimal effort on your part.
Elevate your culinary experience with this easy-to-follow recipe, perfect for cozy evenings or family gatherings.
Why it Works:
1. Chickpeas' Versatility: These legumes form the heart of this stew, offering a nutty flavor and a creamy texture that perfectly absorbs the essence of the dish.
2. Parmesan Elegance: The addition of Parmesan cheese, with its rich umami profile, elevates the stew to a new level. The cheese rind infuses the broth with depth and complexity, ensuring every spoonful is a burst of flavor.
3. Smoked Turkey Magic: Opting for a smoked turkey leg or ham hock adds a delightful smokiness, infusing the stew with a rustic, savory essence. Shredded and folded into the mix, it's the soul of this comforting dish.
Note, I made this recipe a few ways but my preference is smoked turkey, I think the flavor is just a little more balanced. Also, if you want to make this vegetarian, you totally can and it's still amazing.
4. Aromatic Infusion: The aromatic blend of garlic, bay leaves, and onions creates a fragrant base that sets the stage for a culinary adventure.
5. Smoked Paprika Garnish: Elevate your dish with a finishing touch – a sprinkle of smoked paprika, fresh parsley, flakey salt, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. This garnish adds a pop of color and a final layer of complexity.
Other Cooking Methods:
Slow Cooker Simplicity: For an easy-going cooking experience, toss all ingredients into the slow cooker. Let the magic happen over 6-8 hours, resulting in chickpeas that are tender and bursting with flavor.
Instant Pot Efficiency: Craving a quicker fix? The Instant Pot method, clocking in at 50 minutes with a natural release, delivers the same delectable outcome, saving you time without compromising taste.
Tools You'll Need
A large heavy bottom pot (like a Dutch oven)
Pro Tips To Help You Out
DO add your kale right after you take the meat of out of the pot to cool before you shred it. Kale is particularly hearty and takes a while to cook down.
DO use the back of a spoon to mash some of the chickpeas. It will help thicken the soup and make it more stewy.
DO use Italian flat-leaf parsley and not the curly stuff. In my opinion, the flavor is more robust and herby.
DO use a high-quality olive oil for the Smoky Paprika Herb oil. It's the last thing you'll add to your bowl before eating and you want to make sure you have an oil that can hold its own flavor-wise.
Whether you opt for the stovetop, slow cooker or Instant Pot, this Chickpea Stewy Beans recipe promises a symphony of flavors that dance harmoniously on your palate. This recipe embodies the art of simple, hearty cooking – a celebration of comforting ingredients that come together to create a soul-warming dish.
Enjoy the delightful ease of preparation and savor each spoonful of this culinary masterpiece!